Thursday, June 19, 2008

Tabata Day

I have been doing interval training for almost a year...strictly. This is a big change for me from the days of walking, running, rowing etc. And I can honestly say, my body feels so much better now that I am not pounding pavement anymore. I tried out the Tabata Protocol today...not too much different than what I was doing but I stuck to the rules with today's routine. 20 sec. on, 10 sec. off.

Round 1: Swing Variations 16kg
Round 2: Alternating Snatches and Squat Catch
Round 3: Alternating Squat Jumps and Pushups
Round 4: Swing Variations 16kg
Various rest periods between sets dealing with a 1 1/2 year old.

I have really been training pretty consistently despite the lack of posts. A typical strength session will look something like this:
1. Clean and Squat 5-8 reps
2. 1 side Press 3-5 reps
3. Swings 20-30 reps
4. Pullups 4-6 reps
Get Ups, Windmills, Power Wheel or Hanging leg raises (whatever is calling me for the day.)

I have also been having fun with my heavy rope (50ft., 1 1/2 in.) a got from www.ImmortalUSA.com. What an ass kicker. I still get smoked doing 25 sec. If you haven't ever used one, check out www.BattlingRopes.com. John Brookfield does an excellent job teaching if you ever get lucky enough to attend a workshop.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Shawn,

I'm loving the ropes more and more. We could do a great kbell/rope workshop...